If you’re reading this post chances are you’ve already rooted your phone and I’d like to congratulate you :-)! For those of you not rooted, check out the video below from my YouTube channel to how powerful your phone can become after rooting.
Video: What a Rooted Phone Can Do
(click image to play video)
You may be rooted, but that’s only half the battle. Putting a custom ROM on your phone is where all the magic really happens. There are several ROMs out there and everyone has their favorite, but The Tech Temple recommends going with CyanogenMod. The latest version is Cyanogenmod 7 (CM7) and can be obtained using the steps below:
- Visit the CyanogenMod forum and create a free account (this is to support them and all of their hard work)
- Locate your device from the downloads page. Under the column labeled “type,” you want to look for the most recent “Stable Version” for your particular device. If you have an HTC Hero CDMA (HeroC) click here.
- Download the GApps (Google Apps) here. GApps is a file that is needed for you to sign into your Google Account. Please make sure you get the correct version for your smartphone.
- Download the .zip file and place it, as will as the GApps on the root of your phone’s SD card. When I say root I mean place it onto the main place of your SD card instead of into a folder.
- For the Hero turn off your phone and boot into recovery mode “hold the down volume key and power button simultaneously.”
- Select install zip from sdcard and highlight the name of the zip file.
- Press the trackball in to verify the selection. The back hard key will just take you back one menu so it’s okay to use it.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 with the GApps .zip file.
- Go back to the man menu and choose reboot (it should be the first option).
After your phone reboots you should see the Cyanogenmod logo. It’ll take ~5 minutes for everything to boot up but once it does you should be prompted to press the android guy and sign into your Google account. If you need any help please feel free to email me.